Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneralHop Hop Hop Skip and Jump! Talk o …
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hop Hop Hop Skip and Jump! Talk on a Analog (ie Isanti) Repeater from ANYWHERE

It goes like this:
Method 1 - Using DMR Hotspot
DMR HT - DMR Hotspot - Internet - Brandmiester Server - Internet - DMR Hotspot - Anytone 578 DMR to Analog crossband repeater mode - Isanti Repeater - your radio.

Method 2 - Using a Anytone DMR 578 - DMR Hotspot and a Android Cell Phone (requires an internet connection ie cell data or Wi-Fi or bridged to another data-enabled device)

Android device running DROIDSTAR (Free) - Internet - Brandmiester Server - Internet - DMR Hotspot - Anytone 578 DMR to Analog crossband repeater mode - Isanti Repeater - your radio.

Note: TheRadioddity GD-88 HT is also a DMR Crossband capable device but I have not used one.

My question is, why DMR over Fusion or Dstar? There was a DStar (kc0wkp) machine for us to use in the tower and we have the 2m and 70cm Fusion already, but we stopped using the digital mode out of lack of interest...I went out and bought both modes (a total of 4 radio's), because that's what we were going to use in Isanti, now I just use the analog because just a few used it.

I see DMR as just another fad, what am I missing? Is there an Emcomm group such as the Minnesota ARES/RACES, Salvation Army or AF MARS going to use DMR? Or is this NOT an ARES thing?

All good points and questions.   DMR is the fastest-growing segment of Digital ham radio for a number or reasons.   1st is cost.  When you can buy a digital radio that is DMR, 2meter UHF and  VHF for under $120 - that is going to be a popular choice.  Hard to find new radios from ICOM or Yeasue in that price range.  Next is connectivity.   In the eastern States, people are replacing their D-Star repeaters with DMR repeaters because of the hardware costs.  And across the world, more DMR repeaters and hotspots are being installed than all other digital formats combined.   DMR being Open Source flys in the face of the vertical markets of high-priced radios like ICOM with D-Star and Yeasu with Fusion.

Anytone, Motorola, Hytera, Baofeng, Connect Systems, Ailunce, and Btech are the current manufacturers of DMR radios.

Fusion I discovered is like the TV in the break room - If I change the channel (room) nobody can watch the channel they want to watch until I change it back, or it times out.   With DMR anyone can listen to any channel (talk group) they wish and not affect any others on that repeater.  And, the repeaters are capable of working two conversations simultaneously by splitting the data blocks between 'slots' 1 &2.   Additionally,  DMR can be used on an Android cell phone - no radio is required.  But if the phone is integrated with RF radios via a hot spot - a whole new world opens up with being able to talk to any repeater within reach of the RF radio - from anywhere in the world (with a cellphone data connection).    Meaning I can be sitting in a campground on the North Shore and still participate in any local nets on an analog repeater near my QTH by using a crossband repeater radio like the Anytone 578 tuned to the hot-spot.

Another interesting aspect of DMR is the many cross-banded talk groups bridged to D-Star and Fusion rooms allowing direct translation connectivity.

As far as ARES DMR I found 30 ARES talk groups on the Brandmiester.com control servers.
Country Talkgroup Name
US 31127 FL State ARES
US 31128 NE FL ARES
US 31130 Georgia ARES
US 31160 ARES Idaho
US 31161 ARES ID N
US 31162 ARES ID CENTRAL
US 31164 ARES ID SE
US 31165 ARES ID SW
US 31166 TC ID ARES
US 31179 Woodford County IL ARES
US 31197 WCARES
US 31200 Ks Sw ARES L
US 31211 KY ARES Statewide
US 31260 Michigan WX ARES EmComm L
US 31276 Minnesota ARES
US 31290 Missouri ARES
US 31298 KCN ARES
US 31309 Montana ARES
US 31322 NV ARES
US 31366 NY METRO ARES
US 31395 ARES
US 31450 SC ARES
US 31460 SD ARES
US 31476 Tennessee ARES
US 31487 TX ARES EmComm
US 31512 ARES Emcomm
US 31538 Washington State ARES
US 31539 Washington State ARES TAC
US 31556 WI Ares/Emcomm

I would suggest using Google and searching on 'ARES DMR nets' and form your own opinion of the implementation in other areas.   The same would be my recommendation to examine the DMR RACES nets.   In regards to EMCOMM a good starting place is here: Emergency Communications, or EMCOM on DMR – First Coast DMR, and more info is available with Google searches for EMCOMM DMR.

Digital radio is still growing.   DMR may not be for everyone as the configuration learning curve can be a challenge.

Personally, I like the ability of the DMR bridge to the Fusion and Dstar networks and the constant revelation of new ways to use it.